This super moist dark chocolate mousse cake combines unsweetened natural cocoa powder and dark compound chocolate for an extra rich flavour. Filling the cake with a simplified chocolate mousse and covering the whole dessert with caramel coffee mousse takes it to another level. Chocolate mousse is simple divinity in its own right, but when paired with chocolate cake, it’s downright decadent. This mousse cake will definitely satisfy your obsession for desserts.
Eggless Chocolate Cake:
· Maida (all purpose flour) - 1 + ½ cups
· Cocoa powder - ¾ cups
· Baking soda – ½ tsp
· Baking powder – 1tsp
· Butter - ½ cup
· Castor sugar - 1cup
· Greek yogurt ( or hung curd) – 1 cup
· Vanilla extract - ½ tsp
· ½ cup milk + 1 tsp white vinegar, mixed and rested for 5 mins
· a pinch of salt
· Cocoa Powder – 5 tbsp
· Cornstarch – 4 tbsp
· Sugar - 1/2 cup
· Milk- 2 cups
· Heavy cream- 4 tbsp
· Dark Chocolate – 60 gms
· Vanilla Essence – 1tsp
· Sugar – 1 cup
· Water- ¼ cup
· Butter – 2 tbsp
· Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
· Fresh cream – 1 cup
Caramel Coffee Mousse:
· Instant Coffee : 2.5 tsp
· Gelatine – 2 tsp
· Whipping Cream - ½ cup
· Caramel – see above
· Preheat the oven to 180*C. Line a 9" baking pan with parchment paper.
· Whisk cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl . In a different bowl ,add baking soda to yoghurt and let it rest for a few minutes.
· In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar together until the mixture is pale and light. Add yogurt mixture along with vanilla and mix well.
· Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk , mix only until well combined. Don't over mix.
· Pour the batter into the pan and bake at 180*C for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
· First, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, sift in the cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Then add the sugar and combine everything well.
· Gradually add the milk and whisk until well combined. Place the pan over medium heat and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.
· After about 4-5 minutes, when the mixture starts bubbling and thickens, reduce the heat to low. Add in the chocolate and cream and keep whisking until the chocolate completely melts into the pudding, for about 2 minutes. (or until it thickens to your preferred consistency).
· Take it off the heat, then add the vanilla and keep stirring for a minute or so until well combined.
· In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with the water and bring to a boil over moderately high heat
· Using a wet pastry brush, wipe down the side of the saucepan. Simmer the syrup undisturbed until it begins to brown around the edges, 4 to 5 minutes.
· Swirl the pan, then simmer until the caramel turns a medium-dark amber, about 3 minutes longer. Carefully add 1/2 cup of the cream in a steady stream. Stir with a long-handled wooden spoon to combine, then remove from the heat add the remaining 1/2 cups of cream.
· Stir in the vanilla. Transfer the caramel to a bowl and let it cool.
Caramel Coffee Mousse
· In a small microwave-safe bowl, dissolve the instant coffee in 3 tablespoons of cold water. Sprinkle on the gelatine and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
· Using an electric mixer, beat the caramel with the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
· Working quickly, microwave the coffee-gelatine mixture at 10-second intervals just until the gelatine is completely dissolved and hot to the touch. Quickly whisk the hot gelatine into the caramel.
· Take a removable cake tin and cover the base with cling film. Level the cake and place it in the tin. Refrigerate this first layer for sometime.
· After the chocolate mousse is ready, pour it over the cake(first layer) and again refrigerate to set for at least an hour.
· Finally after the mousse is little set and has started taking its shape , pour the caramel coffee mousse on top of the second layer.
· Refrigerate the mousse cake for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight. Enjoy this creamy delicious mousse cake with your loved ones.
Note: Prepare the mousse as and when you are ready to pour it in the cake tin, otherwise it will start setting in the bowl in which it was prepared.